Friday, July 13, 2012

Rhythms

Things have been pretty busy around here.  Aside from the usual...we had family in for most of a week last week and had new floors put in our house (thanks land lord for that, they are really nice!)...which creates a lot of chaos.  Interrupted naps, furniture everywhere and tons and tons of dust.  I dusted...and then dusted again and again and it still seems to be settling.

All that to say...it has been a hard week.  I feel emotionally and physically tapped out.  I kind of always feel that way by the end of the day, but this week, it has reached a new level.  We are out of our rhythm.  I would never claim that the O'Dowd's hold to a routine (that would be for days long ago when we had just one baby).  But, we do have rhythms that really make our life work.  And not just work, but I think we thrive this way.  Allow me to share what has been so helpful for our family!

Rhythm #1...My favorite day of the week is Monday (strange, I know).  But for a ministry family, this is a day off and for the O's, its our SABBATH!  My soul and body need a day of rest!  We plan fun things as a family (or just plan to stay in all day and relax).  We don't do laundry or clean or make complicated meals.  I do not make the bed and get out the vacuum.  We just rest as a family and in the Lord.  Nap time is for reading and resting (not catching up on the dishes).  We do not get on the computer or check our phones.  Life pauses and we take time to really enjoy each other.  The Bibles tells us to Sabbath, and yet everyone is too busy to take a day off (all the more reason we need one!)

Rhythm #2 would be date night.  I miss date night!  We have had a regular weekly date night since our sophomore year of college (that was 8 years ago...crazy), until recently.  We have been trying to get really creative, but with two little ones, one still nursing, its been really challenging.  We will not give up though.  We are working toward a date night co-op (this has worked well before for us) and we have been getting small dates at the Frisco Rec Center where you get 2 hours of childcare a day for free.  Brooklyn is not a huge fan, so our longest date so far has been 40 minutes, but we got to relax on the lazy river together and go down the water slides (don't laugh, yes we were by far the oldest in line, but it was fun!).

Rhythm #3... Dinners together!  And lunches and breakfasts (whenever possible).  We have actually had more of these than ever with Ryan working from home; he often gets to join us for a meal during the work day.  We all sit down together and talk over the day and laugh about the silly stuff the kids do.  (Thankfully the only season where this rhythm is interrupted is with a small baby- that may want to nurse or fuss during family meal time).  Ryan also makes breakfast with Der on Saturday morning and its usually something fun that he picks (just a fun family tradition).  And as many meals as can be shared with others, the better still!

Rhythm #4... Only-child dates.  We started these when Der turned a year old.  Miss B will get the same in a few months.  Tuesday evening.  Ryan and I trade off taking Der somewhere fun.  I have so many great memories from these excursions.  The construction site, to the park, to the fire station, pet shops, the mall play area, to the train track.  And it woulnd't be a date, if there is not a treat involved...cookie, ice cream, snow cone etc. that he picks.  He knows what "date" means for him.  Something fun and a treat, but the treat is really for Ryan and I though- he is a blast to hang out with and its great fun watching him enjoy new things!

Rhythm #5. ..Community.  I am finally starting to grasp the importance of this!  Wednesday night our City Group meets to fellowship, to encourage one another, challenge each other in our faith, and invite non-believers to join us.  It is a beautiful expression of God's grace in our lives.  We love these friends and our times together extend way beyond a weekly gathering.  We do tons of playdates and dinners together and community events.  Recently Ryan joined a softball league with some of the guys.  We all have the same goals and dreams for our ministries, our families and our lives and challenge each other to fight for those things!

Rhythm #6... Away time for mommy.  I can not be a great mommy if I am "on" all the time.  Nor can I be a good wife, or anything else either.  Saturday morning is usually my time to go to Starbucks for a few hours- to sip something yummy and pray and read and reevaluate.  It refreshes and restores my soul like few other things.  During the school year, I participate in MOPS, which is a great break for me plus the added bonus of fellowship with other stay at home moms.  I am grateful for a husband who knows how important this is!

Rhythm #7... We get up before our kids!  I found out pretty early on, that I am not ready to be a mommy (let alone the mommy God wants me to be) if I wake up to a crying, needy child demanding my attention.  Instead, we get up before them and have time to read our Bible together and pray through our day and the things on our heart.  The days I miss this time are *cough*- lets say...ugly.  I sometimes can even get some laundry started and the dishes unloaded from the dish washer before I hear the calls from the crib.

That's all Ive got (plenty, I know).  Does your family have rhythms that are helpful?  Please share! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment